viernes, 4 de marzo de 2016
With no kneading and no waiting you can enjoy warm fresh soda bread in well under an hour.
Preparation time: less than 30 mins
Cooking time: 10 to 30 mins
Serves: 1 loaf
250 g. plain wholemeal flour
250 g. plain white flour
1 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon salt
420 ml. buttermilk
Extra flour for dusting
1) Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2) In a large bowl, mix together the two types of flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
3) Add the buttermilk and mix until a sticky dough forms.
4) Lightly flour a work surface and tip the dough onto it.
5) Gently roll and fold the dough a couple of times to bring the mixture together. Do not knead.
6) Shape the dough into a ball. Flatten the ball gently with your hand. Score the dough with a deep cross dividing it into quarters. Dust the bread with flour.
7) Place onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment and bake for 30 minutes at 200C/400F/Gas 6. 8) The loaf should be golden-brown.
9) Leave to cool on a wire rack. This is best eaten on the day of baking.