Buttermilk gives this cheesy quick bread a subtle tang and keeps it nice and moist. Serve with plenty of butter. Martha made this recipe on "Martha Bakes" episode 713.
YIELD: MAKES 1 LOAF
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for pan
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
7 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 4 1/2-by-8 1/2-inch loaf pan; set aside.
2) Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and 6 ounces cheese; set aside.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk together butter, eggs, and buttermilk until thoroughly combined. Add to flour mixture and stir to combine.
4) Transfer to prepared pan; spread evenly with an offset spatula. Sprinkle over remaining 1 ounce cheese.
5) Bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 50 to 55 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Remove bread from pan and let cool completely on wire rack.